Volunteers at the Community Cafés help to facilitate noontime meals and recreation activities for our participants. Café volunteers spend a lot of time with our participants and are an important part of the Community Café experience. In addition to serving seniors nutritious meals, café volunteers help seniors feel welcome and create an enjoyable social atmosphere.
Café volunteers are needed Monday through Friday between 10:00 AM and 12:30 PM. For a list of café sites, please see our page on Congregate Meal Sites.
Depending on the size of the café, volunteers will perform one or more of the following duties:
- Dining Site Preparation: prepare meal site for the arrival of participants, inventory supplies, maintain logs and reports to document services, and restore the work area to same or better condition after the end of the meal program.
- Meal Preparation: sanitize food preparation areas and equipment, maintain food temperature logs, assist in assembly of meal components and heat pre-made meals for the day.
- Greeting & Reservations: warmly greet participants, register new participants, take attendance, provide program information and customer service, and maintain reservations and reports as necessary.
- Meal Serving: greet participants, set tables, serve meals, clean tables after service.
- Activities: develop activities to improve the social interaction of participants, ensure that all participants are warmly welcomed, and maintain a positive, supportive atmosphere.
For volunteers who would like to be more involved and can make a longer time commitment, some of our café sites need a Site Coordinator and/or Assistant Site Coordinator. These volunteer positions are much more involved and they are the backbone of ensuring a pleasant café experience.
- Site Coordinator: coordinate volunteers and the daily activities of the meal program, which may include fulfilling any of the other café volunteer roles, as well as organize and coordinate the daily service of meals, tally meal donations, and prepare reports about food service activities.
- Assistant Site coordinator: assists the Site Coordinator with coordination of daily activities and fill in as the Site Coordinator when needed.
Before becoming a Site Coordinator or Assistant Coordinator, you may want to volunteer for one or more of the previous café positions first, so that you have a clear understanding of site operations.
Training is provided. For more information, please contact Samantha Wallace at (312) 207-5290.